Message sent from:

Child's Mental Health and Well-being

If you're worried about a child or need advice and support for coping with anything affecting your child's mental health or wellbeing, there are different ways to seek help.



YoungMinds offers free confidential online and telephone support to anyone worried about the emotional and mental wellbeing of a child or young person up to the age of 25.

  • call the free parents' helpine on 0808 802 5544 from 9.30am to 4pm, Monday to Friday
  • email parents@youngminds.org.uk and YoungMinds will respond to your query within 3 working days

The charity also has information for parents and carers about mental health.


MindEd for Families

MindEd for families is a branch of MindEd, intended to support parents and those caring for children and young people.

MindEd is an online e-portal offering free, simple advice about children and young people's mental health for all adults.

Although MindEd is aimed at professionals, parents and carers may also find the information helpful.


Royal College of Psychiatrists

You can also find out more by exploring the Royal College of Psychiatrists' leaflets for parents and young people.

These include mental health information tailored for young people, parents, teachers and carers.


Young Minds Matter

Our school is taking part in a national initiative known as Young Minds Matter, formally Trailblazers. As a school, we are working with statutory health providers who will be delivering mental health service to pupils within our school.


When to seek professional help

There's a difference between feeling a bit low from time to time and a serious emotional health problem.

If your child is feeling unhappy and low for a prolonged period of time, or if you have any other serious concerns about your child or young person, it's time to seek more professional help.

Any professional working with children and young people should know what to do. You may find it helpful to speak to:

  • your GP
  • someone you trust at school or college – for example, a teacher, pastoral lead, school nurse or special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO)
  • health visitors
  • children's centres

For example, if you approach a teacher about your concerns or to see if they’ve noticed anything, they might speak to different staff working in the school. For example, a school counsellor, a support worker or, in many areas, a mental health support team for schools.

If the problem is more complex, the professional you initially approached may suggest getting help from colleagues with more specialist training.

A GP might refer a parent of a child with behaviour problems to a local parenting programme, or a young person who's depressed might be referred to specialist children and young people's mental health services (CYPMHS).

You should contact your local support services immediately if you're aware of a child or young person at serious risk of harm.


For more information, please visit https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-services/mental-health-services/cypmhs-information-for-parents-and-carers/


Hit enter to search